Thursday, August 15, 2013

Honest thoughts and feelings

This past week I have been quite discouraged with the whole adoption process. After our yard sale, where we raised a good amount of money, I found myself feeling hopeless at how little that money amounted to in the vast amount that we need to adopt. I have always said that each little bit helps, and I truly believe that, but it is hard not to get discouraged when we have $3,000 raised for a $15,000-$20,000. I'm sorry if that sounds unappreciative, that is not my intent, we honestly appreciate every donation! It is just where I have been, what I have been dealing with and I want to be honest with all of you about the emotions we feel on this journey. This was magnified by the fact that we had to say no to being presented to two situations in that past week due to not having enough finances. I know I focus a lot on the cost of adoption, but it really is the one thing that is holding us back.

I was however encouraged a bit on Thursday morning when we met with our adoption agency and they informed us that they do have harder to place situations that come up occasionally that we may be open to that would have less fees. We also spoke with them about steps we are taking to try and locate an expectant mother/couple privately in hopes to keep costs lower, as well as once again considering foster care in which case we will pay emotionally and are trying to prepare ourselves for that. They were incredibly supportive of us exploring three different options and keeping all of these doors open. It was just a nice reminder that they are not in this field for the money, but rather for expectant parents, adoptive parents and children. Please keep praying for us as we explore our options and seek what God has called us to do.

I am going to switch gears briefly as I came across an article that I think some of you may find helpful or interesting. The article discusses the cost difference of surrogacy, international adoption, domestic adoption and foster care adoption. I have said pretty strongly before that we would never consider surrogacy since we struggle with male factor infertility, but also because we feel as though we are called to adopt and would be better off investing our money in a child who needs a family at this point. This article helps back up my argument as you will see that we could adopt 4-5x's for the cost of surrogacy and there is not even a guarantee that a surrogate will get pregnant! I do want to point out that the fees associated with domestic adoption are more what you are likely to find with an agency versus private adoption. Private adoption can be done for less that $10,000 if the expectant mother does not need much financial assistance. If you want to read more, you can follow this link here: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/smart-spending/costs-adoption-vs-surrogacy.aspx

Lastly, I just want to encourage you all again to check out our newest fundraiser. I am incredibly passionate about this fundraiser, the story behind how these fundraisers began and how it helps both the widow and the orphan. You can check out our webpage here: http://bothhandsfoundation.org/ZehrAdoption
And if you want to be involved you can become part of our volunteer team by joining our even on Facebook at "Zehr Family Both Hands Project".

Thank you all again for your prayers, love and support! Many blessings to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment