Sunday, September 11, 2016

Enjoying the extended baby phase

Lately when I pick up Lucas I am struck by how solid and long he feels. He's not particularly tall, in fact he's rather short, but to me it feels like he is all legs. He now speaks in sentences, is pretty much potty trained and tells me "no kisses!" as he wipes them away. And even though he is my baby, he is no longer a baby. At nearly 2.5, he has grown into a little boy who desires independence, and while he still needs his mommy, he likes to remind me that he can do it on his own.

Then there is my sweet Asher. Asher who doesn't yet have many words and still has that new toddler walk to him. Who loves to wave "hi" and "bye" at everyone he sees and can light up an entire room with one of those single words. He loves to kiss everything and everyone right now, making everyone he meets feel like the most important person in the world. And petit, not yet 30 inches tall, he walks up to me saying "ma, ma, ma" and stretching those little arms up at me to pick up him. When I pick him up, his still soft body melts into mine and I get to bask in the extended baby phase just a little longer.

While I don't rejoice in his delays, knowing that everything comes just that much harder for him, I know that I am allowed to enjoy this little extra gift that comes with that extra 21st chromosome because it won't be long when he will be telling me "I do it", or "I walking". When his little body will start to feel a little longer and more solid and he will wipe away my kisses. Today I get to enjoy having my baby be more of a baby a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment